Jim is an environmental geologist with 19 years residency in Colorado, and recently relocated to Gunnison from Grand Junction. After earning his Bachelor of Science degree in Geology from Kansas State University in 1983, Jim spent seven years working in various private-industry technical positions related to exploration & production geology, consulting geophysics, and petroleum refining & marketing operations in the central U.S. and Gulf of Mexico. Since 1990, he has been a consulting environmental geologist for oil & gas, mining, private-sector, non-profit, and government clients in Alaska, Hawaii, and the western U.S. Jim's areas of specialization include site assessment, mineral assessment, environmental planning & permitting, project management, and development & evaluation of regulatory compliance programs. Jim founded Rare Earth Science, LLC, in 1994 while living in Alaska.
Rare Earth Science is a small environmental and natural resources consulting firm with offices in Gunnison and Paonia, Colorado. Since 2000, we have been providing a range of geological, biological, and environmental-related services to government, industry, private, and non-profit entities in the western U.S. and Alaska. Our primary areas of practice include
- Land Conservation - Conservation easement baseline documentation, minerals assessment, and land management planning
- Environmental Due Diligence for Real Estate Transactions - ASTM Phase I, II, and III Environmental Site Assessments, ASTM Transaction Screens, Geologic Hazard Surveys
- Wetlands - Wetland delineations, Clean Water Act (Section 404) permitting
- NEPA - Threatened & endangered species inventories, rare plant surveys, environmental assessments
- GIS Services - Mapping & data management
Contact James Armstrong